Monday, January 11, 2010

Winter weather in Ireland!


Hello again from the road team! This time I am writing to you from Ballybofey, Co. Donegal where we have been kicking off the new year with a bit of training with the Athenry team before we go out on the road again.

Being back home in America for the past few weeks for Christmas break, the question I was asked most often about Ireland was, “What's the weather like there?” to which I would respond “It gets cold, but not enough to snow...” However, as my plane touched down at Dublin airport, I realized that I had mistakenly been lying to everyone at home because there was snow on the ground in Ireland! The family I am staying with this week has an amazing view and I’ve found it interesting to see the familiar Irish landscape that I’ve come to love covered in the snow that will always remind me of my New England home. It’s almost a fusion of two worlds and although it makes driving conditions less than ideal I still find it simply beautiful. To ward off the extra chill I just make sure to have a few more cups of tea and put on another sweater.

Aside from the weather, our team has really enjoyed coming together again and sharing stories from home, London, and Lourdes where we spent our Christmas breaks. This week during our training we’ve had the great chance to come together in prayer as well. Last night we heard Fr. Rory Brady, Youth Director of the Raphoe Diocese and a NET Ministries of Ireland board of directors member, speak to us about St. Therese of Lisieux’s “Little Way”, and I was especially touched by the thought that God continuously calls the little and seemingly insignificant to do the greateat things. Afterwards we had adoration and confession and much praise and worhsip music. It was good to really come together as a unit and to start off our ministry in 2010 on the right foot.

In addition to the spiritual kickoff for the year, we spent some time having fun together. The women on the teams all went bowling and the men on the teams were able to go enjoy a bit of paintball. I don’t know who won the paintball war, but I know they loved the competition and the chance to shoot each other in a loving and brotherly way. As far as the bowling, it was a surprise to everyone, including myself, that I excelled at bowling and gained the top score of 116.

We were scheduled to go to Lurgan in Co. Armagh this week, but due to the weather we’ve had to stay put in Ballybofey. We are slightly disappointed that our scheduled retreats for this week won’t be happening, but we’re happy to get to spend more time with the wonderful community of families in Ballybofey/Stranorlar. This community is really our “home away from home” in Ireland and each time we come back we just feel so welcomed and accepted.

Well that's it from me for now, I hope you’re all staying warm, happy, and healthy.

God bless!
Kelsie & Team 1

No comments:

Post a Comment